FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
|Contact: Jill Applegate, 712-260-8902
Des Moines, IA – The Children’s Policy Coalition today released responses of the two major-party candidates for governor in Iowa – Republican incumbent Governor Kim Reynolds and Democratic retired businessman Fred Hubbell – to questions posed on important child and family policy issues.
Staffed by the Child and Family Policy Center and Every Child Matters in Iowa, the Children’s Policy Coalition consists of almost 30 Iowa nonpartisan, nonprofit organizations committed to elevating child policy issues during elections. The Coalition is working to engage candidates in Iowa’s 2018 races, inviting them to participate in in-person events, complete written questionnaires, and include child policy issues on their platforms.
With only three months until Election Day on November 6, the Coalition presents the results of the questionnaire as a public service, urging Iowans to read the candidates’ responses to the following seven questions:
- Budgeting for Iowa’s Priorities – What is your plan to tackle tax policy issues to ensure a stable and adequate state general fund to pay for Iowa priorities, like children’s health, safety, education, economic security, and development?
- Family Economic Security – What actions will you take to reduce multigenerational poverty and ensure that all children have access to equal opportunities to achieve success?
- Early Education & Child Care – How will you support affordable child care and access to programs, promote the importance of quality, and address child care workforce needs?
- Afterschool & Summer Learning – How would you ensure that all children and youth have access to high-quality before- and after-school and summer programming?
- Health & Well-being – What actions will you take to ensure access to services to address the developmental, emotional, and mental health needs of infants, children and young adults?
- Safety & Security – What actions will you take to reduce the number of children who are subject to abuse and neglect, and how will you ensure that youth aging out of the foster care system have a promising future?
- Human Trafficking – How will you address the issue of human trafficking and ensure the broad-based training needed to educate all Iowans that serve, teach, protect, respond or utilize our natural resources?
Candidate Questionnaire to Gubernatorial Candidates. All responses are printed without editing.